Colin P. Clarke, Ph.D., is the Director of Research at The Soufan Group. Clarke’s research focuses on domestic and transnational terrorism, international security, and geopolitics.
Prior to joining The Soufan Group, Clarke was a professor at Carnegie Mellon University, and a senior political scientist at the RAND Corporation, where he spent a decade researching terrorism, insurgency, and criminal networks. At RAND, Clarke led studies on ISIS financing, the future of terrorism and transnational crime, and lessons learned from all insurgencies since the end of the World War II.
Clarke is also an Associate Fellow at the International Centre for Counter-Terrorism (ICCT) – The Hague, a non-resident Senior Fellow in the Program on National Security at the Foreign Policy Research Institute (FPRI), an Associate Fellow at the Global Network on Extremism and Technology (GNET), and a member of the “Network of Experts” at the Global Initiative Against Transnational Organized Crime.
Clarke serves as part of the research advisory council at the RESOLVE Network and is a member of the advisory board at the International Counter-Terrorism Review (ICTR). He serves on the editorial board of three of the leading scholarly journals in the field of terrorism studies, Studies in Conflict and Terrorism, Terrorism and Political Violence, and Perspectives on Terrorism.
Clarke has testified before Congress on numerous occasions as an expert witness on a range of terrorism-related issues, appears frequently in the media to discuss national security-related matters, and has published several books on terrorism, including his most recent, After the Caliphate: The Islamic State and the Future Terrorist Diaspora.
Clarke has briefed his research at a range of national and international security forums, including the U.S. Army War College, US Air Force Special Operations School, Society for Terrorism Research International Conference, the Global Counterterrorism Forum (GCTF) and the Counter ISIS Financing Group (CIFG), which is part of the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS. In 2011, he spent several months as an analyst with Combined Joint Interagency Task Force-Shafafiyat at ISAF headquarters in Kabul, Afghanistan, working for General H.R. McMaster, the former U.S. National Security Advisor, where he was responsible for analyzing criminal patronage networks in Afghanistan and how these networks fueled the insurgency.
Clarke has a Ph.D. in international security policy from the University of Pittsburgh’s Graduate School of Public and International Affairs (GSPIA).
Our Leadership Team
- Ali SoufanChairman & CEO
- Martin ReardonSenior Vice President
- Andre KhouryVice President - Strategic Partnerships
- Susan SimVice President - Asia
- Ammar BarghoutyDirector of Cyber Consulting & Cyber Training
- Colin P. ClarkeDirector of Research
- Elijah FergusonDirector of Support Services
- Stephanie FoggettDirector of Global Communications
- Mohamed El ShaweshDirector of Digital Media
- Dave ShellenbergerDirector of Special Operations and Tactics
- Mollie SaltskogSenior Intelligence Analyst
- Alex SchulzAnalyst
- Nathan SalesSenior Advisor
- Richard BarrettSenior Advisor
- Jason BlazakisSenior Advisor
- Jeffrey RingelConsultant
- Thomas AlbrightCrisis Management & Preparedness Consultant
- Amjed KuriLaw Enforcement Instructor
- Eugene CaseyInstructor
- Rita AbboudExpert Interpreter & Translator
- Boutros AssafTraining & Operations Assistant, Translator
- Hala HoukayemExpert Interpreter & Translator
- Rita El KhouryExpert Interpreter & Translator
- Pascal NasarExpert Interpreter & Translator
- Cosette N. SalibaExpert Interpreter & Translator