Carlos Fernandez is the Chief Operating Officer (COO) at The Soufan Group and a former FBI agent in charge of New York’s counterterrorism division. He is a Senior Fellow with The Soufan Center.
He has investigated the East Africa bombings and the USS Cole before being promoted to Assistant Legal Attaché in Yemen. In 2009, Mr. Fernandez was appointed the senior FBI official to the Joint Special Operations Command and in 2015, he was named the Special Agent in Charge of the New York Counterterrorism Division.
During his tenure, he led the FBI’s investigations of the Chelsea, New York City bombing and ensured the security of the largest gathering of the United Nations General Assembly in New York City.
Since leaving the FBI in the summer of 2017, Mr. Fernandez previously worked as Chief Security Officer for Viacom. He has received multiple awards and recognitions, including the Attorney General’s Distinguished Service Award, the FBI Director’s Investigative Excellence Award and the George H. W. Bush Award for Excellence in Counterterrorism. Mr. Fernandez is a former Marine.
Our Leadership Team
- Ali SoufanChairman & CEO
- Carlos T. FernandezChief Operating Officer
- Martin ReardonSenior Vice President
- Susan SimVice President - Asia
- Andre KhouryVice President - Strategic Partnerships
- Ammar BarghoutyDirector of Cyber Consulting & Cyber Training
- Colin P. ClarkeDirector of Policy and Research
- Stephanie FoggettDirector of Global Communications
- Dave ShellenbergerDirector of Special Operations and Tactics
- Mohamed El ShaweshDirector of Digital Media
- Mollie SaltskogSenior Intelligence Analyst
- Alex SchulzAnalyst
- Jeffrey RingelConsultant
- Richard BarrettSenior Advisor
- Jason BlazakisSenior Advisor